Any performance concerns with hiding entire desktop version of page?

While the smartphone version of my landing page shares many of the sections from the (more important) desktop version, I decided it’s better not to take those same elements and reconfigure them for the smartphone breakpoint. And instead hide everything from the desktop version so I can freely configure the smartphone version.

I’m wondering if this has an effect on performance. I know any content that is hidden in Plasmic is not rendered, so I think I’m good. But I wanted to get your input.

note that animations I run in code (that I want on the smartphone breakpoint as well) are then applied to twice as many elements.
But since the duplicates are hidden I hope that doesn’t affect performance.

Hey Johannes! If it’s not rendered it should not affect performance.

You should make sure it’s “not rendered” and not “not visible”; “not rendered” is actually not rendered, but “not visible” is still rendered by hidden with display: none

not rendered is the default option when something is hidden, right?

it is not… display: none is the default…

oh no.

not rendering used to be default in the past.
and you were able to see the actual state in Plasmic Studio.
I wonder why you changed that.

yeah :confused: it’s because for sites, you often want display:none so that visibility is toggled by css instead of by javascript. But for apps, you do prefer not rendered instead :confused:

A simple dropdown under Default Styles would solve the problem.

You could write:

Hidden elements are: [Not rendered ↓]
*unless specified otherwise

under the current solution users don’t even know it is possible to not render
… unless the click on the 3 dots and…

With a dropdown under the Default Styles tab you communicate that it is possible.
And believe me: I was excited when I first saw that it is possible to not render things.

and please: communicate what the current state is. A hover tooltip would suffice.

also: “Custom code expression” doesn’t seem to do anything.
could also use a (i) with tooltip to tell users what it’s for