Is there a way to export a full codebase from Plasmic?

Not knowing exactly how Plasmic functions, I hope this doesn’t sound like a silly question, but is there a way to export the full code base from Plasmic (the files in my GitHub repo are minimal, I’m guessing some static page generation is taking place, but I’m looking to be able to edit at the level of everything that’s there for SEO - so somewhere I could edit what I’m seeing when viewing page source - all the html and everything)? Thank you

1 Like

@tricky_hoverfly Plasmic has two ways of exporting React components out of Plasmic CMS: 1) The Headless API approach: here you only get the stubs of your components, the actual code is loaded on demand; 2) the codegen approach: here you get ALL your components’ source code along with the necessary Plasmic components to run your app. As for SEO, you have to understand it’s a general problem with React Apps. React is mostly used for fast prototyping. After that, you can migrate your code server-side for a better SEO ranking. Find more information here: https://docs.plasmic.app/learn/technical-overview/

Thank you. I’m not a React pro, but can you explain what the point of Plasmic is, then, if you aren’t going to do everything within the Visual Studio? Why would I add all that work just to create a component? The docs also just talk about React, React, React, yet I previously read the codebase is in Next.js. I’ve found the visual studio great, but it seems like Plasmic is rather unhelpful outside of that… I might as well just code a React app from scratch, right? I feel like I’m not understanding how some people are using the platform.

@tricky_hoverfly well, first not all use cases require customized code components. For most app-prototyping, components provided by Plasmic are enough. However, if you want to go further than just design screens then Plasmic gives you the possibility to implement YOUR WHOLE front-end with it’s CMS. Other platforms like Figma and Frame X stop at the design phase. My personnal experience is that Plasmic can be a full-stack front-end development environment.

I’m a little confused when you use “full-stack” with “front-end.” Full stack literally means front and back, so it’s confusing. I feel like I’m just getting more confused here as to optimal use cases for Plasmic.

Hi, the frontend stack is as follow: 1) design 2) developnent 3) integration. Normally, you’d do the step 1) in Figma or Frame X then ship the screens to developpers; after the latter do their magic, they’d send it back for testing and integration with Server side APIs.

Not anymore. Now you can do all these in just one studio.

By the way Next js is a extension of React.